Kalaheo High School
Student Transportation
Pre-Paid Bus Pass System

The Department of Education implemented a school-based pre-paid bus pass system in school year 2008-2009.  The system was developed to address many concerns about the collection of bus fares and the timely distribution of bus passes.

Who is eligible to ride the school bus?  Students are eligible to ride the school bus if they ride the bus on a daily basis, attend their home school as determined by their legal residence and reside one mile or more via the shortest walking distance from the school.

How does a student apply for transportation?  For Freshmen and New Students, there will be transportation applications available at Schedule Pickup Day from 8:00 to 11:00 am.  When the completed applications are submitted to the transportation clerk in the gym and payment provided, the student will be provided a receipt and temporary bus pass until the permanent bus pass is sent by the district transportation officer.  The turnaround time is one week.  If a returning student did not submit an application, one can be obtained from the Administrative Office.

How is payment made for bus transportation?  When the parent completes the application, payment options and a billing schedule is provided.  Parents must prepay the bus pass fee either on a quarterly or annual payment plan.  The annual payment plan includes a 5% discount.  Fees are payable at  the Administrative Office.  Students will be serviced daily from 7:30-8:00 am.  Walk-in parents will be serviced between 8:00-11:00 am.  You may pay by cash, check, money order or cashier's check made payable to "Department of Education."  There will be a $25.00 service charge for all returned checks.

How does the student obtain the bus pass?  The student will be issued a bus pass only upon satisfactory receipt of  payment by the transportation clerk located at the Administrative Office.  Students must surrender their temporary bus pass in order to receive their permanent bus pass.  There will be four bus passes distributed, one for every quarter.  So student riders must show a current DOE bus pass to the bus driver every quarter.  Student will be denied a bus ride if he fails to show a current DOE bus pass upon demand by the bus driver.  The parent is then responsible fro provide alternate transportation for the student.

How does a student replace a lost or damaged bus pass?  If the student loses the bus pass, he/she will need to submit a Request for Duplicate Bus Pass (form ST-73) to the transportation clerk with a replacement fee of $5.00.  The student will be issued a temporary bus pass upon payment of the fee.  The transportation clerk will then request a replacement DOE bus pass from the district transportation officer.  Again, turnaround time is one week.  If the student loses a temporary buss pass, he will be required to remit a $2.00 replacement fee to the school for another temporary bus pass.