Recommended Minimum 4 Year College Admissions Requirements: It is recommended that more math and science be taken to be competitive in college admissions. Honors and Advanced Placement courses are also highly recommended. Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) needs to be as high as possible to be competitive.
- 4 years of English
- 4 years of Social Studies
- 3+ years of Laboratory Sciences
- 3+ years of Math (including Algebra 1 & 2, Geometry)
- 2+ years of Foreign Language
- 1+ years of a Fine/Performing Art
What (Some) Colleges Look For In A Student:
- Academic Performance: Cumulative grade point average and rank
- Academic Rigor: Difficulty of course selection, depth of study (ie. world languages levels 3 & 4, trigonometry/analytic geometry, French III, Honors, Advanced Placement)
- Standardized Tests: SAT Reasoning Test, ACT test, SAT Subject Test scores
- Resume/Co-curricular Activities: Involvement in or outside or school (ie. clubs, athletics, church involvement, employment, community service, etc.)
- Community Service: Do you give back ?
- Recommendations: In and/or outside of school persons who can present a positive "picture" of your achievements and contributions
- Essay: How well do you write? What else can you tell the admissions committee to make you "stand out"?
- Provide recommender with an updated resume. Sample resume available in H208 and on the Career Information page of the Kalaheo Website..
- Provide recommender with a MINIMUM of 2 weeks advanced notice. This does not include weekends, holidays or breaks. One month notice is better.
- Ask the recommender if they need/want anything else from you. Provide them the best way to contact you.
- Provide recommender with a stamped envelope if it needs to be MAILED directly to college.
- Write a thank you note to your recommender.