Student interested in learning about the University of Hawaii at Manoa should attend their 2021 VIRTUAL Manoa Experience. Learn about programs and services, meet with current students, faculty & staff and attend a virtual campus tour. This FREE event will be held on Saturday, Jan. 23, 2021 from 9 am to 1:30 pm. REGISTER NOW at: https://visit.manoa.hawaii.edu/events
JUNIORS (and parents/guardians)…ACT is Coming! SAVE THE DATE!
All juniors will take the ACT with Writing in school on Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2021. The DOE pays for each student, saving you $70.00. This ACT score can be used for college admission. It’s a WIN-WIN to prepare and take the ACT test in school. Acellus JUNIORS, please check your Kalaheo email regularly for information regarding the ACT. Please do NOT schedule any activities/work or appointments before 3 pm on testing day! No need to sign up! Ms. Inouye registers all juniors!
Honolulu Community College is hosting VIRTUAL Tours by programs! Students interested in learning about programs in the pathways should register to attend these events.
Public & Human Services - 1/22/2021 @ 2-3:30pm
Arts & Communication - 2/5/2021 @ 2-3:30pm
Industrial & Engineering Technology - 2/12/2021 @ 2-3:30pm
Transportation - 3/5/2021 @ 2-3:30pm
Please see flyer for the Virtual Tours for more details: http://go.hawaii.edu/kGJ
Students in grades 9-11 interested in agricultural services, plant and animal science, wildlife management and agribusiness are encouraged to apply to the University of Hawaii at Manoa’s summer AgDiscovery Program. Normally held in person, due to safety concerns with COVID-19, AgDiscovery 2021 will be held virtually July 11-24, 2021. Sixteen high school students will be selected to participate in this FREE program. The AgDiscovery application and instructions are available online at www.aphis.usda.gov/agdiscovery with the deadline of March 25, 2021.
The National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) is hosting VIRTUAL College Fairs on Jan. 31, Feb. 28, March 21 and May 2 from 1:00 to 7:00 pm EDT. Be sure to change the time to Hawaii Standard Time. Visit https://virtualcollegefairs.org/events to REGISTER for the fair and to see who is participating.
- be juniors in high school
- be high-achieving and service-focused
- possess grit and perseverance
- have demonstrated need
- live in the US (though you don't have to be a resident)
- be college-bound to a US-based institution
- be committed to participating in our rigorous five-year curriculum
- be able to attend New York Leader Week July 10-15, 2021
Summer STEM Institute:
The Summer STEM Institute (SSI) is a six-week virtual summer program for high school students. The program was started last summer by educators, students, and graduates from Stanford, Harvard, and MIT. Last year, SSI received over 2,450 applications from students in 78 different countries.
The program consists of three main parts:
- Research and data science bootcamp: Students learn how to design and conduct data science research projects. Students learn about the research process and how to apply statistical and machine learning methods to address scientific questions with real-world impact.
- Masterclass lecture series: Students are connected to accomplished young adults around the world. Students have the opportunity to learn about entrepreneurship from Forbes 30 Under 30 recipients, science research from International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) grand prize winners, and other topics from speakers with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Mentored research project: Students complete a research project through a rigorous, hands-on learning experience under the guidance of mentors. Previously, students have worked in a variety of fields, from computational biology to quantum physics.
If any of your students may be interested in and are a good fit for the program, could you please share this opportunity with them?
Students and families can learn more about SSI and apply on our website here: https://www.